Monday, 23 January 2012

Old Cookery Books 2

Today I have another of my old cookery books to share with you, this time from 1986.  Shirley Goode was one of my favourite cooks on TV, she used to appear on a programme called Pebble Mill at One. Later  she had her own programme The Goode Kitchen and this is the book that accompanied the series. I have just about read the words from the pages of this book, its crammed full of lovely economic recipes and lots of useful information about stretching the grocery budget. I would like to share with you one of my favourite recipes.


Shirley's Carrot Cake

110gm Sugar
110gm Margarine
2 Eggs
1 dessertspoon Black Treacle
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
175gm Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
175gm grated carrot
50gm chopped Walnuts

Icing 

175gm Low Fat Curd Cheese
50gm Butter
175gm Icing Sugar.

Beat the sugar and the margarine, add the eggs and treacle, Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and fold into the mixture. Stir in the carrots and the nuts. Put the mixture into a lined cake tin.  Bake Gas 4 or 180*c  for about an hour.  Test with a skewer to make sure its cooked.  Cool on a wire rack.  Mix together all the icing ingredients until smooth and spread on top of the cooled cake.
                                          
 I used a 6" loose bottomed round tin with a paper liner.
 Here is the finished cake, we don't have the icing on the top as we think its delicious without and it saves on a few calories.

I did take a photo of a slice but seem to have lost it!! and the cake has been eaten :-)

I hope you will try this recipe, its so easy and as it has carrots in then it must be healthy LOL  well carrots are one of your 5 a day!

Thank you Shirley for so many fabulous recipes and for giving me such a Goode book to treasure.

PS I have another of Shirley's books Goode for One which I will share another day.

You can read Shirley' Blog here


Thank you for looking

Karen xxx





6 comments:

  1. Carrot cake my favourite thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to see a photo of Shirley in her working days. I love Shirley's blog - shes's still talking sense all these years later. I read her every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that book - also Goode For One is useful, even tho there are 2 of us here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cake Karen!

    I've just spied your sealed pot, that's brilliant!

    Where did you get it?

    Did it really cost just 89p?

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh I'm going to try that recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen, you have brought back many happy memories for me.I used to watch Shirleys programme when my boys were little and I was at home looking after them.Carrot cake is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx