Monday, 2 March 2015

Budget Basics

So far this year the budget is going well, we have plenty food in stock so this month we should be able to cut our housekeeping budget by £50, the toiletries and cleaning stuff cupboard is looking healthy too.  I haven't done a cupboard inventory but I did one on the freezers, it meant they got a good tidy up at the same time.


We ate the fish fingers, mushy peas and the Lurpak is in the fridge so I updated the list before blogging.  Even if I don't go shopping at all this month I don't think we will starve. There is plenty to make at least two months meals when you consider that some of the meat will have other things added to it, be portioned up and put back in the freezer for another time.

Gas, hubby  has altered the timings and temperatures on the heating and water and thats showing an improvement on our weekly energy readings, not long now before we change the clocks and gain another hour of daylight.  Our cutting down on electricity is covering the extra we are using doing Mum & Dads washing and the use of the dryer so even though there isn't a monetary reduction there is no increase either, so pleased about that :-). Fuel for the cars is about the same, £60 per month and we are happy with that.

We live on a limited income, just hubby's private pension, but because we are both careful with money we are able to eat good food, stay warm, run our cars and have holidays without incurring any debt. We both feel extremely lucky to be in this position and are enjoying every day :-)

Todays weather has been awful, snow, rain, sleet and horrible winds, I think its pretty much the same for the rest of the week :-(

Thank you for all your lovely comments yesterday.


Wherever you are, take care and stay warm.
Love Karen xxx

17 comments:

  1. Well done for being so organized.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are very organised for Easter, with your lovely decorations, very pretty. x

      Delete
  2. You are so, so organised! I have shopped online at Sainsbury's for nearly a year and am looking to save some £ as our weekly bills have crept up and up these last few months. I've done the weekly shop at Aldi for the last 2 weeks and have spent at least a third less than usual each time so I am rather chuffed so far. Really happy with the quality of what I've bought too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time is so limited Sarah with your full time job and children. Good for you giving Aldi a try, we buy a fair bit from there and Lidl and very rarely have we been dissapointed. The mature cheese number 5 from Aldi is excellent. x

      Delete
  3. It is great that you are so organised and obviously self sufficient financially. You could teach a lot of people a lot about how to manage their money! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to be organised, I cant settle if its chaos :-) we lived for a whole year on hubbys projected pension before he retired just to make sure we would manage, it was a good excercise. x

      Delete
  4. I agree you are very organized, I hope we will be the same when dh retires in a few years time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I m sure you will be fine Gill, you have been very organised with your menu this week....lovely food. x

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of food, should keep you going for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot, its made me realise that we don't need to have such a big stock of food, some stuff has been there a while and is getting used first. It will be interesting to look at the inventory at the end of March.

      Delete
  6. You are very organised, I like you neatly typed inventory, being organised is how we manage, we are spending less and less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, to me its just the usual boring stuff lol. Even a small amout of organisation makes for an easier life And a better bank balance :-)

      Delete
  7. Good post, I love lists, your in control of the items you have. It's not a lot to want after working all your life, but a comfortable retirement is everyone's aim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, I'm quite a simple girl, I don't really want for much. We have worked hard and are now reaping the benefits of a comfortable retirement. Only another 2.1/2 years to hubbys state pension :-). We will feel rich then wont we :-)

      Delete
  8. Organisation and planning does seem to be the key to success. It's great you're enjoying your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it does, looking after the pennies has enabled hubby to retire at 55, 7 years ago and we have never looked back, we have been very fortunate and most of our planning has paid off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm always very inspired to see people living so happily on "less" <-- it isn't really less, it's actually enough but the endless message of the larger world seems to be always screaming a need for more of everything.

    i've only just started this year, keeping close track of our budget and trimming wherever i can -- food is one of those places it's actually easy to do that -- but your organization and list is showing me i can do even better!

    so lovely to have found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx