Monday, 9 March 2015

Wet Monday Chores!

Cold, wet and windy today just the kind of day to clean my oven....ha ha! 

Rubber gloves. Soapy wire pads and lots of hot soapy water,


Looking better already, I think the last time it was cleaned was Christmas.....shame on me! 


I even took the glass out of the door and scrubbed it.


Thats much better, this oven is nearly 23 years old and I m dreading the day it gives up, they just don't make them like this anymore :-(

Done just in time for lunch, no breakfast this morning and we were both hungry so a quick omelette 


I bought these huge mushrooms from Morrisons on Saturday for the bargain price of 39p!  2 were sliced and popped into the microwave for 3 minutes then dry fried in a hot pan, this just cuts down on the calories and stops them soaking up the oil.  I part cook the eggs then add in the cooked mushrooms and fold it over, we had half each.


And very nice it was too.

Yesterday Hubby made a chicken curry for tea today and its 'soaking' in the fridge so just the rice to cook in the microwave, that means my cooker will stay shiny just that bit longer :-)

What have you been doing today and how often do you clean your oven, is it weekly, monthly or are you like me and only do it when you daren't open the door if you have visitors :-)

Time for a nice cuppa.
Take care
Karen xxx






21 comments:

  1. I did mine about 3 weeks ago, I place an old baking tray on the bottom covered with foil for any spillages, probably clean it about every 3-4 months if I'm honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a baking tray in the bottom too but it was in the dishwasher. I dont seem to use the oven as much nowadays, we are using the slow cooker and the combi microwave.

      Delete
  2. I did mine recently, I had a mad day blitzing the kitchen. I dom like to give it a wip round every week but sometimes it just does not happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blitzed round the rest if the kitchen after lunch and washed all the cupboard doors down, just the floor to do, but hubby is in and out to the garage at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I wipe it round everytime its used soaking any spillages with a damp cloth to make them come off. I know the book people do a silicone oven sheet for the bottom of the oven that I will purchase when they have it next. The racks go in the dishwasher once every 3-4 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo you are good, if something got spilled I would wipe it straight away to save it getting burnt on. I usually put the caravan oven racks into the dishwasher but the house oven ones need a brillo :-(

      Delete
  4. haven't done mine since we got it in June and it's still nice and clean. Will say I am spoiled as I hit the self clean button and it cleans itself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sides and the top are self clean but not the back and the bottom....dont know why! It didnt take me long to do it, dont know why I kept putting it off!

      Delete
  5. I wipe the door every time but only clean it when needed. no rain here although it was expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The door gets wiped more often because I use it to stand things on when stirring and being glass it shows up the marks But I dont take the glass out unless its getting a deep clean. Its been horrible and very dark here this afternoon, I had to put the light on about 2:30 as I couldn't see properly to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate cleaning the oven :-( I am a veggie but OH grills bacon about 3times a week and never wipes the oven down...grrrr... Can I ask what you use to clean the glass door, Karen? I have tried various cleaning stuff to no avail. Mind you, I never thought I could remove the glass to clean it...doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a brillo to clean the glass with extra fairy on it. Or you could try Hob Brite, thats what I use for the cooker top.

      Delete
  8. Luckily no rain here.. spent day in the garden. In answer to your question how often do I clean my oven... not as often as I should do! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like you have been very busy in your garden :-)
      I m pleased I'm not the only one who doesn't clean the oven as often as I should, there is always something more interesting to do isn't there :-)

      Delete
  9. I kind of ignore it until it smokes! We wipe the glass and I scour it with Fairy liquid. I have to use hob rite on the top as it marks every time I use it. Aaarrrggghhh. Why do curries always taste better when left to mature or even frozen and defrosted? Such a great go to meal for us. Hope all is well and Willow is looking forward to Easter. Much love. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nuse hob brite too,mits great for getting the water marks off stainless steel kettles too :-). Curry was horrible! Phil used a jar from Aldi, and it was far too oily, i picked out the chicken and rice, wont buy that one again :-(. I think Willow is more looking forward to the school holidays lol xx

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the terrible spelling ,I've no glasses on and its nearly 2am lol xx

      Delete
  10. Considering your ovens age it looks as though it is in great shape!!! Long may it continue! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a brilliant oven, it could do with a new door seal but other than that it works perfectly. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. My big oven is done twice a year, but we don't use it that much, the small oven gets wiped after use and then deep cleaned with the big oven. It was dull and dry here yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly what you mean about things not being the same as they once were. We 'adopted' our cooker from the previous owners. The main oven packed up a while back so we carried on just using the hob and top oven. But then we had all our relations over for Christmas so we got the new one. Your oven looks amazing now.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx