Every year at this time we seem to have a surplus of ripe tomatoes, for years I made chutney then I discovered Roasted mediterranean veggies, this is a bit like a baked Ratatouille. I used about 3 pounds of ripe tomatoes, 2 packs of 3 peppers (from Aldi 69p ones) a pack of savers mushrooms from Morrisons 80p 4 onions about 50p a glug of olive oil and black pepper. If I have courgettes they go in too. Roughly chop everything drizzle with oil and stir in until all veg are coated with oil, I use my clean hands for this, top with a few grinds of pepper and pop into a hot oven for about an hour. Keep stirring so the top doesn't burn.
It takes about an hour for everything to soften and go a bit gooey. The smell is wonderful.
I had some with a crisp salad a few olives and some croutons......yum!!
The rest will be frozen in pots for adding to pasta or rice or cous cous or just eating with salad. Its lovely on crusty bread with some feta or goats cheese too, hot or cold. You can have it with chops and sausages or use as a pizza topping, whatever takes your fancy. I will be making loads more to last through the winter.
Enjoy your weekend whatever you are doing and thank you for looking.
Karen xxx
We havent had a glut of tomatoes this year sadly.I only had two plants and they didnt perform well, I blame the rubbishy summer.Next year I will try again but keep them in the greenhouse!
ReplyDeleteMmmmm, my kind of food, ok all food is my kind of food cos I love food but this ticks all the boxes x
ReplyDeleteI love roasted veg and probably eat it once or twice each week...but I never thought of freezing it...brilliant idea..I'll be stealing this one if you don't mind :-) ^..^
ReplyDeleteI put celery, carrot and potato chunks in mine too, if there are any lurking in the veg drawer of the fridge. It is SO easy to make a huge batch and portion and freeze it.
ReplyDeleteweekend blessings x