When we first arrived and set up it was Philips job to fly with another pilot over to Sturgate to pick up another Cessna ready for Saturday, so as far as he was concerned it was a great start to the weekend. I just lazed about reading :-)
Over the course of the day a total of 42 units arrived and got themselves settled and enthusiastic for a great time ahead.
They had a mass gathering at 11 am for a coffee morning and a raffle, I think its the time when they read the minutes of the meetings and any other business. They also had a Penny Fair over the weekend to raise money for the Bluebell Wood Hospice, I had a go on the Bonus Ball and won £49!! so what the heck I gave it back for the charity collection, that was my good deed for the day and I felt good about it, its such a worthwhile cause.
Meanwhile back to the flying side of the weekend, we had more people wanting to fly then we expected and it was a bit of a job getting everybody sorted with a flight, but over the two days no one was disappointed. We totalled 38 fixed wing and 14 microlight passengers over 2 days in the scorching heat! I did all the admin side and Philip did the strapping in and helping the pilot so he didn't have to turn off the engine while loading the next person in, it worked like a dream!
It was so hot in the cabin our fab Instructor Tony was very nearly our own Mr Darcey :-) You know the bit where he steps out with his clinging wet shirt....phew!!!
The lady with him and with me in the photo below is potty Pauline, she had never ever been in any kind of areoplane and was terrified before her flight but she was determined to have a go and guess what...... she loved every minute.... well done Pauline x
The older gentleman Ron was in his eighties and he had 2 flights and then a microlight flight!! He said it was the best time of his life..... what a lovely man too.
The kids had a whale of a time, first with the flying and then the Fire Section brought the Fire Engine down for them to have a look at.
We were down to the last couple of flights on Sunday afternoon when disaster struck!!
Philip went to help an old gentleman with his areoplane radio when he had a problem, he didn't duck down under the wing low enough and struck his head on a metal hinge hanging below the wing :-( it resulted in 2 hours in A&E and 7 stitches!! He is ok, just felt a little foolish after keeping everyone safe around the areoplanes all weekend!
Edited to add a photo of the offending bit of metal under the wing.
So many people were full of praise for the Flying Club and for our efforts in making them all a weekend to remember, the atmosphere all weekend was brilliant. On Friday when we arrived we didn't know any of the caravaners but by Sunday afternoon we had made so many new friends.
I apologise for the rubbish photographs but Philip and myself were just so busy all weekend we didn't have the time to take any quality ones, just a few snapshots. Hopefully some of the members will send us theirs as they had big cameras with huge lens and we would like some for the notice board.
As I said at the start it was the first time we have done this kind of event but judging by the responses we had I don't think it will be the last!!
I hope everyone is coping with this heatwave and taking care when going out.... me .. I'm ready for a cooler night.
Take Care


Goodness me, bet he had a headache eventually! The scalp bleeds so profusely it often looks worse than it is but that is certainly quite a cut:)
ReplyDeleteAmazingly he hasn't had a headache, but he said its a bit sore, it is looking better now we have washed his hair and cleaned it up a bit.
DeleteOUCH!
ReplyDeleteYou are having some interesting times with your caravan this summer.
We are having a brilliant time with the caravan and I'm now loving this not working lark :-) 2 weeks and we're off again!
DeleteWhat a wonderful day, all apart from the bit at the end, ouch I bet his head is still hurting, poor thing :-(
ReplyDeleteHe looks a bit of a site, he was due to have a haircut on Monday! lol
DeleteMy commiserations, any head wound is painful and this heat will not help. Thank goodness it was not worse, and at the end rather than the start of the day. Well done on the donation.
ReplyDeleteFrom what he is saying it looks much worse than it feels, just a bit sore, he is wearing a hat so the sun doesn't burn his scalp.
DeleteAs for the donation, what you haven't had you don't miss and I know it will be much appreciated by the hospice. They raised over £1,500 over the last few months, so they have done really well.
Looks amazing. Hope the bang didn't knock any sense in.That would be awful!! Where is Mr Darcy doing flying trips next? Might be worth turning up!!!!!! For the flying experience of course!!
ReplyDeleteYour kids would have loved it, lots of space for running around and a game of rounders to join in with. Mr Darcy is back this weekend giving trial flights.... I hope its hot again LOL
ReplyDelete