Quickie post today, its been our shopping day and really not much needed, £20.76 spent in Lidl and as we were passing Sainsb* I called in for some chopped tomatoes and they had the cooking bacon in unsmoked so I picked up 2 packs, these are from my September budget but probably won't get used until the Stoptober challenge. I paid from my cash allowance of £100 for the month and we still have over half left, plenty stuff in the freezer and cupboards but by the end of the week (Thurs) the fridge is very bare, on the other hand nothing is getting wasted . I managed to add a big carton of yesterdays soup to my week 4 basket in the freezer which is filling up nicely :-)
Better update my side bar with todays totals....hoping for 6 no spend days until the next shopping trip!!
Take Care

Hi Karen,
ReplyDeleteCan I ask, do you prefer the tomatoes from Sainsbury? I tend to still buy chopped tomatoes from Lidl, but wonder if the Sainsbury ones are better. I used to buy ones with green labels in Lidl and although they were slightly more expensive, definitely more concentrated and some had chilli/herbs/onions etc included, but I have not seen those for a while now. Your peppers were cheaper today too - wish I had postponed my shopping until today!
I bought 2 tins of tomatoes in Lidl to try before deciding to call in at Sainsb* I will open 1 of each tomorrow for a huge chilli and let you know if there is a difference and which I prefer.
DeleteKaren, I was pleased to see your Lidl shopping list, I will look in there when I shop for my salady stuff, it is a great price. I am just making a dent in my freezer so a long way to go yet.
ReplyDeleteI think all salady stuff was much cheaper today,must be because the weather has turned cold and as it was already ordered they cut the price rather than be left with it....just a theory!! I seem to be constantly adding homemade stuff to the freezer contents, its going to take a while to get to the bottom of it all.
DeleteHi Karen,
ReplyDeleteI gave in tonight and had a takeaway. Nothing much in the house. Worked 10 hours, been up since 0450 so had a Chinese. £14 for 2 of us. I feel a bit bad but no cooking or washing up, bliss!
I have heard you mention the bacon before and you got some nice meat from it. Is it just the cooking bacon? Is it all little bits? It sounded like you got some substantial bits. X
Hey Sarah you dont have to justify it to me, I love a takeaway especially a nice Chinese. I might be giving in to one myself next weekend when my son and family are up from Plymouth.
DeleteI did a post on the Cooking Bacon (look in my sidebar) Its fantastic value, it looks like the end bits when they have finished with the prime cuts, they do smoked packs too. You have to tidy it up a bit but at £1.10 for 670gm I don't mind!! xx
Highly recommend the bacon (all basic range) from Sainsbury. When I get the chance I get the cooking bacon; you can never be sure whether you will get large 'steaks' like Karen likes or just sliced bacon - but I am sure you are resourceful enough to use it whatever way you can. I bought some this week and it was clearly very chunky, so bought some basics back bacon too (for when we need sliced) but also try their gammon joints - I bought one for £2.54 (previous ones paid around £3 each) and can honestly say are very good quality and once cooked (I generally steam/boil with bay leaves then roast for a short time with a little honey) it is delicious, lasts at leasts two main meals and of course can be used partly or wholly as ham in sandwiches etc.
DeleteThank you for that Alison, next time I'm in Sainsb* I will try the Gammon Joint, I am always on the look out for a true bargain x
DeleteCertainly doing a good job there Karen. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I'm trying to keep it up for as long as possible. Its not too hard work now I've had years of practice!! x
DeleteAn excellent shop Karen. You are doing so well.
ReplyDeleteSft x