Saturday, 7 September 2013

Week 1 Stretch it out September

First of all a huge welcome to my new followers, its great to have you on board. xx


Well that's the first week of the challenge over and its been a great week, my meal plan get shuffled about as we were away until Monday so because I had taken sausages in the caravan we had those on Sunday. It doesn't really matter as long as they get crossed off the plan so I know whats been eaten. I did batch cook some Beef Stew and thats in the freezer ready for my "free" week 4.
click to enlarge

 We have baked 3 loaves in total and I made Blackberry and Apple seedless Jam at the beginning of the week with foraged Blackberries and Apples from our tree.
More Apples were prepared for the freezer to use in crumbles pies and for Apple Sauce, but I have seen Apple Jelly on lots of blogs and I fancied having a go.  I thought it was going to be a total disaster, I couldn't get it to flippin set!! I had given up and thought I would try and salvage it by adding some elderberries and boiling it up again the next day, but.... while I was tidying the kitchen it started to set in the pan and stuck the spoon to the plate!! Quick action was required to get it into the jars, its not perfect to look at but boy does it taste good.
Its absolutely delicious!


We had a change in the weather on Friday and this is what we woke up to.
 The gardens really needed it and to be honest so did I, it was lovey to have some nice fresh air without that hot sticky feeling.
 Today I have been pickling Beetroot with some added brown sugar and mustard, the part jar will probably get eaten next week and the others will be stored with the last lot for later on.

These were fresh picked today from my Dads greenhouse and I will ripen them to make some pickle, there is just 3lbs which is exactly what I need.  I have a stack of green beans to do for the freezer too....tomorrow!

We shopped this week and spent £20.12 from our £100 budget.  Hubby filled the car up and used a voucher we were given and saved £2.70 so that amount was put in the Sealed Pot along with a £2coin .
Its been a good week for freebies too, 3 Wholemeal Loaves (wrong ones bought for the flying club!!) a bag of allotment veg, a jar of Tomato Pickle, a packet of ginger biscuits and the above tomatoes.

My Daughter in law has just rung and invited us for dinner tomorrow :-) so I guess my menu plan will be changed round again next week, I will probably do my Sunday and Monday meal later in the week and invite them back.

How did your week go?
Thank you for popping by and reading my chunterings

Love


ETA.  My Recipe for Apple Jelly

Peel and chop as many apples as you want, I had about half a carrier bag, leave the skin on and use the cores (for the pectin).  Place in a large pan and JUST cover with water, simmer until the apples are pulpy.  Carefully ladle the whole lot into a jelly bag over a pan, most of the liquid will go straight through into the pan, secure the bag and hang it over the pan until it stops dripping, DON'T SQUEEZE or your jelly will be cloudy, this usually takes overnight to get the most out.  Next day measure the liquid,(I had two and a half pints) you will need to add a pound of sugar for every pint of juice. Once the sugar has dissolved in the juice bring to the boil until setting point.  Leave to cool slightly, carefully remove any scum then pour into hot sterilized jars, seal with a wax disc and screw the lids on tight. They will pop when cool and give an airtight seal.  I hope that helps Fran. x

17 comments:

  1. I have just been given a ton of apples and now fancy having a go at apple jelly. What recipe did you use please? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added the recipe to the blog post for you xx

      Delete
  2. Cant' beat freebies. We now don't get as many as the people who used to give us things have either died or moved away! I did pick and freeze 2lb of mixed beans yesterday with lots more to come. We had hardly any rain, just very light showers. Garden is still bone dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a freebie, I will more than likely repay with some baking. I have done mixed beans this morning I weighed them just before putting them into the freezer and there was just over 1200gm. The runners are nearly finnished but the french ones are still going strong. Garden is very dry under the surface still!

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen,

    Hmm, not too good here. I did batch cook some chilli and had some stew in the freezer but we will have to have those this week as its all looking a bit bare! I do have a lot of staples so just need the basics to go with them. My other half needs a meat or protein in the meal which is usually chicken. This makes our shopping a bit more expensive and I do a proper lunch for him too. He's six foot four and a body builder so I can't just give him a small lunch. Sadly it means I usually eat too much as I do us the same, smaller for me though! Ha ha. You are super organised as ever-well done. It's so nice to get new followers too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I think you do amazingly well considering how many hours you work and I know you do the best you possibly can. Your meals always look or sound gorgeous, I need to be a bit more daring with the spices!! I could do with much smaller portions too now I lead a very sedentary life. x

      Delete
  4. We have had a glut of courgettes so we stir fry the little ones, and stuff the giants! (Or roast them, one in the oven with the chicken as I type.) But my goodness, Karen - I do meal plan for the week but you are like some Logistics Maven here, doing a month at a time! Kudos to you, Madam!

    Your conserves look beautiful - I am swearing off sugar for a while so have banished my plans for a mega blackberry forage. :( Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well just before we went away last week I was going to pull the last courgette plant out and low and behold its started fruiting again!!

      I did a months menu for the challenge and because I knew I had enough basics plus meat in the freezer. The idea was to make enough over the first 3 weeks and then have a free week for week 4 using up whats left. It doesn't always go according to plan, like tonight when we are invited out and I never say no when someone wants to cook for me!!

      You could still go on your Blackberry forage and pop them into the freezer for over winter when you feel like having a pudd, better still what about Blackberry Rum.... hot toddy's...mmm

      We have "Hartshorn's Hedgerow Heartwarmer" all wild berries steeped in sugar and brandy for about 3 months then strained and bottled and left to mature for a year. Great for colds and sore throats... worth being poorly for lol xx

      Delete
  5. We've been given two marrows and some runner beans from a neighbour with an allotment this week. Always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was given some runner beans the other day but they were well past it and went in the compost, we do have some of our own though. Marrows..hubby hates them so I never cook with them, I have just about got him to eat Butternut squash soup lol.

      Delete
  6. Well done on such a strong start! I'm managing to stick to my September budget too. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all seem to be off to a strong start with the challenge lets hope we can all keep it up...life happens sometimes and turns things upside down!!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of this challenge. Unfortunately we are away this week and have folk staying when we get back, so it seemed to be TOO challenging! Are you going to do a similar thing in October ? If not I might "go it alone" anyway.
    Don't you just love preserving the bounty ?
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never go it alone Gill, there is always another frugaller ready for a challenge :-) As for October, it will probably be Stoptober...stop unnecessary spends!!

      Natures bounty is wonderful, I love digging into the freezer during winter and pulling out a tub of roasted mediterranean veggies I have done or just a big blob of homemade preserve on porridge cheers up a cold day.

      Delete
  8. All looks lovely. A neighbour has given me big bag of bramley apples and we went blackberry picking at the weekend.My intention is to make a load of blackberry and apple crumbles on my day off tomorrow!!
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Twiggy and welcome to my blog, I hope you find something to interest you. Freebies are wonderful and crumbles are so easy to make and just the job for these colder days. Enjoy your day off x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen

    I don't know where my comment went so I'm trying again. Firstly, you and I approach meal planning in the same way-we often swap meals around too.

    What lovely jam-with those free apples even lovelier! And tomatoes for your pickle.

    I haven't been enjoying all this rain but as you say it's good for the garden.

    How nice to be invited over to your DIL for dinner. That's a meal saved.

    Sft x


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx