Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Final week and Stoptober !


Blimey where did September go? we are on the final week of the challenge- pay for 3 eat for 4.  I did have a little blip over the weekend as I said in my last post, we had a Chinese :-) I paid for this from some money I had previously saved :-) In my defense I had all my meals in the freezer for this week, bulk cooked and squirreled away over the past 3 weeks. I still managed to save £80 from my usual budget of £200 per month so my Sealed Pot had a treat of a £20 note :-)There have been a few changes to the original menu plan as we had more leftovers some days and quick and easy on toast others, so I have plenty to carry over to Stoptober.

My scruffy menu plan for this month !!

As you might know we had a big Sunday Lunch for my family and we had enough left over for 4 good dinners so that took care of Monday and tonight meals.  This weeks menu plan goes as follows:-

Tonight... Gammon Dinner

Wed        Fish, new potatoes, peas & tartare sauce

Thurs       Spicy homemade soup & crusty bread,  apple crumble & custard

Fri           Beef Stew & dumplings

Sat           Chicken Curry & rice

Sun          Slow roasted belly Pork Dinner

Mon         Pork Steak & leftover veggies

I have started my Stoptober menu plan from whats in stock already but I'm about 5 meals short, I need to dig into the depths of the freezer and see whats lurking!!

If you have been doing the September Challenge, how has it gone for you and will you be continuing cutting back and using up during the Stoptober Challenge?


Whatever you are doing take care
Love

11 comments:

  1. I am continuing to cook from the freezer and larder, some days it is a challenge but I will persevere. I do have a good stack of "ready meals" so on sewing and gardening days we have a "ding dinner". I will have to do a general shop soon for washing up liquid and the like but am keeping within £10 a week so far. I did stock Michael up with chocolate bars from the Co op but they were 4 for £1 so did it out of the scrapings of left over spending money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having ready cooked meals in the freezer for those busy times. I think I might need a cleaning stuff shop at the start of next month, the dishwasher tablets are almost gone! I usually get hubby his chocolate from our mill shop his favourites are 7 snickers for a pound.

      Delete
  2. I have slipped, somewhat from cooking merely from larder and freezer. Not totally, but I just can't resist fresh fish, and sometimes I see a bargain and think what good things I can make with it. However, I should get back on track - and really, the coming months is the best timeto be doing that, isn't it? Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe its the right time to use from the freezer and free up space for all those lovely Christmas goodies, which in this house last until about February lol If I see fresh fish at a bargain price its straight into the trolley, if not for us then my daughter in law will have it. xx

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing that your stoptober challenge is not the one being run by NHS to help people give up smoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed right, its just a bit of fun :-)

      Delete
  4. We're still ploughing valiantly through the freezer, but I have bought a few things that were on offer and popped them in .... it's never going to be empty at this rate.

    Stoptober sounds like a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slowly using stuff up and I do have 1 empty basket!! I will be on the lookout for my Christmas Meat, there are usually half price offers starting up soon, so it wont be empty for long.

      Stoptober could be great fun!!

      Delete
  5. I have been seduced by a couple of 'bargains' recently, and gave in and popped them in Mum's freezer - sorry really cannot resist a bargain! Have also just started to be able to freeze surplus apple puree, despite valiantly eating it for breakfast most days I am collecting more windfalls than I can eat! I have done well for SIOS but fear there will not be any cash left as we have also been lured by cheap cakes in the supermarket! Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be increasing my budget slightly for Stoptober so I can pick up some Christmas stuff, but we will still be on a mission to use up what we have first. I find it hard to resist a bargain too.

      Delete
  6. You have done so well Karen and I'm looking forward to your Stoptober success too.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx