Its been so cold and wet the last couple of days so while hubby was at his voluntary job I decided to get some hexies cut out and made up, I'm thinking about using them to decorate some simple bags for Christmas. I like the fact that I can do this just sat watching tv or sat in the conservatory as they are all stitched by hand, quite theraputic!!
I made the dough in the breadmaker and there was enough for two.
We had a few bits of salad left and a spoonful of coleslaw so I chopped the bits up and stirred in the coleslaw and added a squirt of mayo, it was lovely.
While the oven was on I cooked a handful of oven chips each, we hardly ever have chips, these are from Lidl and were quite nice and made a bit of a change.
Last week I had bought this huge Butternut Squash from Lidl, so today I used it up to make spicy soup, I added some chilli powder and it made it a real winter warmer just the job for today. We finished off yesterdays Pizza with it and I had made a rice pudding in the slow cooker for afters, we were both stuffed but warm :-)
I have had 6 no spend days this week, but tomorrow is shopping day, I hope I can stick to my small list and keep costs low. We still have loads in the cupboards and the freezer.
How is your week going? Are you managing to keep warm, or have you given in and put the heating on?
Take Care and
Thank you for popping by

Hi,
ReplyDeletePizzas look wonderful. I must have another try with the breadmaker.
Thanks for your baguette pizza tips for me. I love butternut squash especially with sweet potato in a soup. Weather here is rainy and colder. As I Tyler my bedroom is 19.5. Am hoping to be really strong and not light log burner until Nivember. We are investing in an electric blanket this year for 10 mins before bed. Can't wait! X
We invested in an electric blanket a couple of years ago and its brilliant!! I even put it on in a morning while I'm having my cuppa and a read :-) Sweet potatoes are on my shopping list this week, I love them roasted as wedges X
DeleteI am still in a no spend zone, this will change on Friday when I buy milk and whatever veg top ups I need. I am determined to keep this going into October. The heating will not go on in September, an hours sunshine will wrm the cottage up for the day and once the curtains are closed it stays warm, and we have plenty of jumpers and quilts!
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping to carry on the minimum spends into October too. Heating isn't on yet, we try to go well into October but it may go on sooner if the cold continues. I HATE being cold!!
DeleteYum yum yum :-) I tried making lentil and bacon soup for tea last night but added too much cumin so it had a bit of an aftertaste. Will make it again as I need to use the rest of the lentils but will of course add less cumin or probably leave it out all together ;-)
ReplyDeleteLentil and Bacon soup sounds delicious, I love any homemade soup really, they are so cheap and filling. Cumin isn't one of my favourite flavours, although we use it in all our homemade curries, I prefer chilli for a bit of kick! x
DeleteI am staving off turning on the heating - sitting about with a CARDIGAN on, for goodness' sake! But I suspect the heating will go on soon. Maybe even this evening! One of the things I do love about autumn though, is I can go to town on the SOUPS!! Love 'em, and so does my other half so yes, I'll be getting out the spices, and lentils, and picking up a butternut squash soon. (I roast my chunks in a mixture of oil seasoned with spices and herbs, gives a subtle kick - or more robust if you add more heat!)
ReplyDeleteI need to be checking my freezer boards and make up some more leam plans - there's plenty of stuff there to save me needing to shop much! Lx
I love roasted Butternut squash, I can even eat it cold! We love lots of soup in the colder weather, its so warming and makes you feel cosy inside. We keep on eating out of the freezer but to be honest it doesn't seem to be getting any emptier!! Hubby says we need to be able to see half of the bottom before we start to stock up again!! x
DeleteLoving the hexi's - I made a hand stitched hexi quilt for my Mums 80th birthday last year and loved it. Have spent this year crocheting which I also like, but am now starting to have yearnings back to the patchwork which is safely boxed in the storage unit. We have had our heater on in the motorhome, mainly to try to get some washing dry (honest!!) but only on very low; we have also started making and eating soups - mushroom (with stalks only) earlier on in the week and a nice thick beef casserole last night for dinner - yummy! Good luck with the shopping.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving the handstitching just now, but my finger end is getting a bit sore, pushing the needle through the paper bit is tough! I should invest in a thimble really and try to persevere with it.
DeleteI love being in the caravan with the heater on, so cosy, especially if its raining outside, which is usually most of our summer! we have been so lucky this year. Gravy dinner for us tonight ...yum
6 no spend days is inspirational! Well done you :) The pizza looks delicious. I'd be interested to see what you spend on this week's shop.
ReplyDeleteThank you, being retired and not having any shops close by does help with the no spend days. Planning meals and sticking to my shopping lists really helps too. Still lots in store so shopping bill can be kept pretty low again this week.
DeleteLoving hearing about everyone's frugal spending, same goes on here. I have a patchwork quilt to make before Christmas - hubby's present, think I'd better get a move on. Have got some thrifty recipe's on my blog too, if anyone fancies a look
ReplyDeleteAngela
Author of http://smallholdingpleasureorprofit.blogspot.co.uk
I love your hexis too. I remember making them when I was at school for a cushion cover. I loved hand sewing then.
ReplyDeleteLovely pizza. Yum.
Butternut squash soup is delicious isn't it? We love spicy parsnips soup too.
Sft x