Sunday, 15 September 2013

Sweet Tomato Pickle

Yesterday I got my act together and turned 3 lbs of free tomatoes into a couple of jars of lovely Sweet Tomato Pickle.  I have been making this recipe for years, it's so simple and doesn't require lots of different spices, it just uses ones we normally have in store.

 It simmers away quite happily on the hob.
 Once its thick and pulpy its ready to go into jars, It takes a good 2 hours to make from scratch, and well worth the effort.  It is a sweet pickle and goes very well with some nice strong cheese, we had some of this (from a different batch) on our Pork Burgers and it was delicious!
 Its a lovely colour too and you can see whats in it.

Unfortunately it doesn't make a great deal, 1 tall jar to be squirreled away for Christmas, the half jar will be popped into the fridge and used more or less straight away and the small jar is for my daughter in law as a swap for a jar of Hedgerow Jelly she gave me last week.  Today she turned up with 3lbs of Damsons so I swapped for a jar of Beetroot :-)  We both love swapsies!!

Sweet Tomato Pickle

3lbs Ripe Tomatoes skinned and chopped
225gm Onions finely chopped
1 large Red Pepper finely chopped
12gm Salt
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/4pint of White Vinegar....I used Red Wine Vinegar.. dont use brown malt its too strong
175gm White Sugar

In a large pan put the Tomatoes, Onions and Pepper, simmer for 30 minutes
Add the Salt, Paprika and 1/2 the Vinegar simmer for another 45 minutes
Add the Sugar and the rest of the Vinegar
Simmer gently until its reduced and its thick and pulpy, keep stirring to prevent sticking
Pot in the usual way. You can eat it straight away or store in a cool place until required.

I am hoping for some more free tomatoes so I can make another batch.  You can whizz it down to a nice thick sweet tomato sauce too.

I think my next preserving job will be some Damson Gin.....delicious!!

Take Care

9 comments:

  1. Have you tried using vodka instead of gin? I always used to use gin but find vodka mellows better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Vodka last time and we prefered the taste of the Gin. Brandy is nice with assorted hedgerow fruits too.

      Delete
  2. This looks lovely (and simple, I like simple). Have been chucking the glut of tomatoes in the freezer until I get time to do something with them. This looks ideal xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very simple Fran thats why I make it. I have a nice Pear Chutney which I will be making shortly and I will post the recipe.

      Delete
  3. Going to have a go at this one!! My tomatoes, that have been slow starters this year are now coming in thick and fast, so next week I shall be making Chel Chunt's sweet tomato pickle.
    gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Gill, please post about it on your blog if you make it and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. I don't usually make pickles/chutneys but I am definitely going to try this recipe. it looks so good and simple to do! Thanks Terri X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog post. Good and Simple ways are always the best, and its ready to eat as soon as its cold. We had some on homemade bread and strong cheese for lunch and it was yum!!

      Delete
  5. If you're making Damson Gin (or Brandy or Vodka) don't forget to use the alcohol steeped Damsons at the end of the process to make Damson Gin Jam, it is the BEST jam I have ever made. You don't get a lot but it IS delicious and well worth making, and absolutely no wastage.

    In fact when we had pigs and I made some Damson Gin Jam the pigs even got the stones from the centre of the Damsons, the stones must have absorbed lots of the Gin because there were happy little piggy snores coming from their ark an hour after supper time :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx