Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Tinned Tomatoes

Welcome to my new followers, its great to have you on board, I hope you will pop in often and maybe leave a comment or two xx

Alison this post is for you :-)


Tinned tomatoes are a brilliant addition to anyone's storecupboard and one that I wouldn't ever want to be without. They are so useful and add a great flavour to many savoury dishes.  I have been buying the carton ones from Sainsbury's Basics range for a long time and at 35p per carton they are excellent value for money.  Last week while shopping in Lidl I picked up a couple of tins for 31p per tin to try them and they were excellent too.  Today I decided to do a bit of cooking in preparation for week 4 of the Stretch it Out September Challenge and I thought it would be fun to take some photographs of each of them so you can see for yourselves. 

 Lidl 31p v Sainsburys 35p
 Lidl ones were slightly chunkier.
 Sainsburys ones were slightly thicker.

When they were both cooked down it didn't make any difference to the finished dish and in the future I will buy them from either store.  

A quick pic of the Chilli and Bolognaise I have made for the freezer, I now have all my meals ready for next weeks challenge.  Tonights tea was the remaining Chilli with Basmati Rice and it was delicious.

Have you ever done a comparison test just for fun?

10 comments:

  1. I compared Tesco with lidl some years back and thought the quality of the Lidl tomatoes better. that WAS years ago, so I may not have the same result now.
    Concerning the said tomatoes, I didn't have quite enough tomatoes for your chutney recipe, so I added half a tin of Lidl tomtaoes, which worked well. The chutney was really nice. I made a full lb and very nearly another lb from you recipe. I shall put the full one away to mature and use the other on some brie in filo.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the Tomato Pickle its a shame it only makes a small amount after starting with a big pan full. x

      Delete
  2. Thanks Karen, your dedication to the cause is unbelievable! I too tried Tesco against Lidl before we went travelling and preferred Lidl. I had noticed that the Lidl ones (now) are quite chunky, which sometimes is not the best thing for the dish, so it is useful to know that the Sainsbury ones are less chunky. Not sure whether this is useful, but I used to be able to get passata in Lidl for 29p - whilst this is of course not chunky at all, I found this 'thicker' (ie fuller flavour) than cheap tinned tomatoes, so if making soup I will use this in preference to tins; I have found that I do not even use one carton when I would have used at least one tin of tomatoes. I know it is only pennies saving, but as they say - every penny counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think I had nothing better to do lol I don't think I have ever bought passata,I will try some next time I go shopping. I quite like Tomato Juice to drink with a bit of Lee and Perins!

      Delete
  3. We use lots of tinned tomatoes Karen and our storecupboard is never without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to use a lot more in the wintertime, I add them to lots of our soups and stews.

      Delete
  4. Karen, 4 tins of chopped tomatoes in Family Bargains for £1.00, nice and chunky and thick too.......just how low in price can we go!! Best wishes Karen J. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment x We don't have a Family Bargains here, which is a pity or I would have stocked up too. 25p is a great price!!

      Delete
  5. I'm never without tinned tomatoes, there's so versatile! I'd love to see more comparison posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instant custard.... Asda smart price at 15p is the best :-) I usually buy 10 packets at a time, hubby loves it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx