Thursday, 30 January 2014

Coffee Morning Baking.

These monthly Coffee Mornings soon come round, I will be up early in the morning to go and collect the veggies from the coldstore at Polybell Farm. Its been a really cold day today, this morning we went food shopping and this afternoon has been spent in the warm kitchen baking cakes for refreshments.

Victoria Sandwich with Strawberry jam.

225gm margarine
225gm caster sugar
275gm self raising flour
1teaspoon baking Powder
4 beaten eggs
Filling
100 gm margarine
400gm icing sugar
1/4 jar Strawberry jam
Caster sugar to sprinkle on top

Cream together margarine and sugar when light and fluffy add beaten egg and flour with the baking powder and give a good mix. Its really the all in one method but i like to cream butter and sugar first. Split between 2 ..8inch cake tins greased and lined in the bottom with baking paper. My oven is perfect at 170*c for about 40 minutes but everyones oven is different so use your own guide. When cold spread with butter icing and jam and sprinkle caster or icing sugar on the top.


Chocolate Cake with butter cream filling

Use the same recipe as above but substitute 60gm cocoa powder with 60gm of the flour. Fill with buttercream. The topping is a bar of lidl cheapo chocolate melted and a couple of squares of white chocolate melted and swirled into the milk chocolate on top of the cake.




Cut and come again fruit cakes

300gm self raising flour
2level teaspoons of mixed spice...I used cinamon.
150gm sugar...any will do I used demerara.
150gm margarine
150gm dried fruit...I used a mix of sultanas and a few glace cherries
2beaten eggs and enough milk to make a soft dropping consistency

Using the same method as the sponge cakes but adding the fruit last.
Share the mixture between 2 x1lb loaf tins lined with a paper liner, bake at 160*c for around an hour, again check your oven and use your normal settings.

There are many variations of this cake, its just a very basic fruit loaf and quite cheap to make.  I cant cut into it yet as its still warm, i will do that tomorrow and add another picture.

Lets just hope the all sell well, our usual charges are 50p per slice and 50p per cuppa.  I will report back at the weekend :-)

Have you baked this week and if so what did you make?
Take care
Karen xxx


12 comments:

  1. oh my goodness me those cakes look blooming lovely :) .. I do like a slice of cake..
    AFM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AFM there is a virtual slice winging its way to you :-) xx

      Delete
  2. I've been enjoying a lot of time in a lovely warm kitchen too, Karen, sadly not making cakes as I'm off sugar at the moment and grains but very enjoyable despite that. You certainly knock out a good looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lynne, your savoury cooking looks delicious. X

      Delete
  3. Aha! you didn't tell us that YOU are the "Jill Archer" of your coffee mornings - making the best looking Victoria Sponges!! Worth more than 50p a slice, I'd say.
    Do let us know how much you raised xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I have had plenty practice over the last 40 years plus many years baking for the WI markets. I think 50p is cheap but still some grumble, ah well we cant please everyone. Xx

      Delete
  4. Crikey ! That Victoria Sponge is a show winner.
    50p a slice is very reasonable and would convert to £2.00 at a restaurant. However, like you,we always like to charge a reasonable price at our Society "dos" and love to see people who couldn't normally afford restaurant prices coming for seconds and a slice to take home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make and donate all my cakes every month so that all monies raised goes to the upkeep of the centre. My daughter in law and me run the Coffee mornings so thats ' our bit' done, i do enjoy it though. X

      Delete
  5. Baking is the perfect activity on a cold day. Your cakes look delicious and 50p per slice is an absolute bargain, I bet there's none left at the end. I've been baking muffins and bread this week, I shall tell more in a post next week. I don't know if you saw my reply to your comment on my blog, but the little pompoms were from The Range, I don't know if you've got one near you. They were about £1.99 per bag. I bought two, one which contained more primary colours and the other with fluorescent colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, any left usually makes its way to my son, unless we are having visitors over the weekend. Thank you so much for the pompom info, i will look for some the next time we go to the range, there is one at the far side of Doncaster. X

      Delete
  6. A slice of chocolate with a cup of tea please, milk no sugar ! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. On its way...... Hope you enjoyed your baby cuddle :-) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx