Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Charity knitting


Bridget this ones for you, I hope it inspires you :-)

These are the Charity knitting projects I am working on at the moment. I wish I had thought to take a photo of the Yellow Jerseys we were knitting for the Tour de France 'bunting' which will be festooned around Harrogate next summer. Most of these projects are on going all year round, I like to get involved with these as its always good to help others in need.

These Beanie style hats are to go to Romania, they will go into the shoeboxes later in the year. I am sure they will be well received and its good to know they will help to keep a child warm on a cold day.


Blanket squares knit on the diagonal, very simple to do, we hand these over yo a very talented lady who sorts them out and crochets them together into blankets for a disabled charity, they were thrilled yo bits with the ones we did before Christmas. Again its helping people in need to keep warm.


Premature baby hats, these are a lovely project, tiny little hats that will fit into the palm of your hand.

These go to the Maternity Wing of Jessops Hospital in Sheffield, they are always very grateful for them. I made over 60 for the last collection, they take about an hour to complete. Again they are a worthwhile cause and such an important item for keeping a tiny baby warm. I have to say these are my favourite things to knit :-)


Innocent Smoothie Hats....The Big Knit...  For Help the Aged

These are brilliant and use up all those odds and ends and only take about 20 minutes, these are awaiting their pompoms, and they take more doing than the hats!!

So thats what I am doing at the moment as well as fitting in a bit of patchwork. It makes me feel very grateful that I am warm, healthy, able bodied and have a full tummy.  I  am sure you will agree its all very worthwhile.

Take care
Karen xxx




12 comments:

  1. Hi, (a new follower) i would love to knit, i must get my mother-in-law to teach me ... those are lovely little things that you have made.. i am doing shoebox's for the first time this year, with Link to Hope.. its great when you can help people .. Lovely Blog .
    AFM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comments and a huge welcome to my little corner of blogland. Do please learn to knit, its quite good fun. All the above knitti g is very simple and aimed at beginners especially the blanket squares. I bet there are loads of tutorials on you tube. Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos, now I want to knit more! My innocent hats are quite simple too, although I like to do a wider, white band, then a coloured cap. Most of the ones I made last year did not have pompoms for the reason you said - they take longer than the hats to make! I had thought about making a blanket for charity, but had forgotten how to make the diagonal squares (I know they are really simple, but could not work out if it was make extra stitch at both ends of every row, one end of every row or every other row) I will also ask at our local hospital about premature baby hats/shawls etc as I know many are quite desperate to have some of these items.
    Karen, you may have started a knitting revolution!! Well done you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, for the squares you increase 1st at the beginning of every row i do mine up to 50 sts then decrease 1 st at the beginning of every row. I am sure there will be charities in your local area that will welcome some of your knitting. X

      Delete
  4. Awe bless you Karen. I love looking at other peoples knitting. They all look brilliant. I don't mind knitting squares but I hate sewing them up, Callum usually does that for me. I've never tried to crochet them together. Thank you for posting the pictures. Consider me inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have inspired you Bridget, keep knitting those squares for Callum to sew together, he sound like a very talented crafter. X

      Delete
  5. What a talented lady you are and it always feels lovely to help others. I love your blog Nimxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nim its so good of you to say that, glad you enjoy my blog xx

      Delete
  6. You've certainly got plenty of charity projects on the go. I think it feels good to help other people, like you say, we should feel grateful for all we have and helping others less fortunate is so worthwhile. You asked about the pompoms on my Big Knit hats. I'm afraid I cheated and bought them, have a look at this post I wrote:- http://www.jo-throughthekeyhole.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/brightly-coloured-balls.html
    I'm so rubbish at making pompoms and these bought ones were so reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the info on the pompoms Jo. I am on the lookout for some xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Instead of pom poms would it not be better to knit or crochet a tiny flower to stich on top?

    Here speaks a virtual non-knitter so shoot me down in a blaze of fluffy wool if I'm talking daft :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shot you with pompoms Sue :-) i bought a little plastic pompom maker from the bay of E its fab! It was only cheap so I dont suppose it will make industrial amounts but its good fun and very quick! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx