Sunday, 5 January 2014

Cook up Sunday part 2


I have really enjoyed my day today, cooking for the freezer to eat at a later date is a very satisfying task, it means on busy or just lazy days I can just reach into the freezer and pull something out for dinner.
I like to keep a few cartons of bolognaise sauce and some portions of chilli to hand, all the ingredients were in store so I made a few cartons of each. The mince was on a great offer from Morrisons a while ago 675gm for £2.49 excellent buy, its extra lean steak too..

I nearly always have these in stock, they are a brilliant addition to many dishes and they are so much cheaper than using fresh, plus someone has chopped them up for you! I used about a quarter of the bag in the above meat, the half a green pepper went in too as it was starting to go soft.
Chilli...
I one pan I used half the meat with a chopped onion, peppers, garlic, 2 tins red beans, 2 cartons of tomatoes chilli powder to taste, salt and black pepper and a good squeeze of tomato paste. Simmer until cooked.

Bolognaise Sauce
The other half of the meat with a chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, celery, 1 carton of chopped tomatoes and a jar of Ragu sauce ( i bought these from Morrisons buy 1 get 2 free ) mixed herbs, salt and pepper.  Simmer until cooked.  Slow cooking produces a much richer sauce, so cook as gentle as you can. Slow cookers are great especially if you are making a huge batch.


As you can see it has made 3 tubs of Bolognaise and 5 single portions of chilli, (my hubbys favourite) he might have this when I fancy something vegetarian or fishy!

Nothing has been used from this cooking today as we were invited to our son's house for a gorgeous meal of Pulled Pork with a chipotle sauce, cracklin, homemade sun dried tomato focaccia, and a nice healthy salad, it was delicious!! Another lovely evening spent round the table with our family.

I hope you are all keeping warm and dry, its a foul night here, with wind and rain....again!

Thank you for popping by,
Take care
Karen xxx


4 comments:

  1. I bought some of that mince when it was on offer in Morrisons. I love chilli but the rest of the family don't, but you've just given me an idea. I often batch cook things like cottage pie or lasagne, so I think I'll do a batch of chilli just for me when I have my next cooking session. I like to have things I can just pull out of the freezer when I can't be bothered cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good x It's always nice to eat with others. Your sons menu sounds fantastic, has he inherited your cooking skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy Karen, if you are not crafting you are cooking - or both sometimes!! I agree though it is good to make things ahead, I used to do that but don't have enough space to do that now; I still buy 'normal' or larger packs of meat, but freeze it in it's raw state as it takes up less space in the ice box - it really is surprising how much you can get in one! I think we really must pop round for a treat when we are out and about sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, what time shall I pop round for my tea? xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx