Monday, 27 January 2014

Use it up Pie day.


Its been a lovely day today, cold but dry and bright. We popped over to see my parents and ended up going off to Argos to get my Dad a new shaver, his old one had given up after 15 years so he treated himself to a new one. I dont think he liked going out to the shops this morning as he couldnt shave before he went. I remember as a small child he would chase us round to give us a 'monkey scrub'  with his whiskery chin prior to shaving. He will be happy in the morning when he can resume his-normal   routine.

January is always a use it up and make do month and in the freezer I had a lump of home cooked ham needing using up as well as a few leeks, delving a bit deeper into the freezer I found a box of pastry cases and lids... So a pie it was...


2 potatoes an a leek were sliced, the potatoes par boiled and the leek sauted in a little oil, the sauce mix is about 10 months out of date but it was perfect when mixed with boiling water.


Once the leek was cooked through I added some of the shredded ham.


I added the potatoes and the sauce to the pan and gently combined it all, I didnt bother with any seasoning because the ham was salty enough and the sauce was flavoured.


There was far too much filling for 1 pie so I did 2 small ones to use it up, added lids and egg wash then baked about 170* for about 45 minutes.  Meanwhile I still had some ham and pastry cases left plus the remainder of the beaten egg, so...quiche it was...


I baked the pastry cases blind first while I sauted a sliced red onion. And the rest of the shredded ham, add to the pastry case and topped with a bit of grated cheese. Add 2 eggs to the one I already have and make up to half a pint with some milk, whisk together and pour over the filling.  Bake until filling is set and golden brown.


Mmmmm....now which to have for tea tonight..... A small pie each with some steamed carrots.


The pie could have done with a bit more sauce so I whisked up some gravy instead, if we had been more hungry I would have done a green veg as well.


A quick close up before I poured gravy on it........mmm..delicious!!!  A very hearty dinner full of flavour! And the bonus of more for another day!

Thank you for popping by
Take care
Karen xxx








14 comments:

  1. It's pie weather isn't it? Yours look delicious as do your quiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we need some comfort food sometimes. X

      Delete
  2. They look lush, they're making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, one of your cupcakes would go down a treat just now x

      Delete
  3. Now that's what I call cooking! They look great and you now have some "convenience " food in your freezer
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my freezer is my best friend! I love having convenience food in there especially when its homemade. :-) x

      Delete
  4. Can't beat a pie this time of year. They look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we try not to have pastry too often but sometimes it just has to be!

      Delete
  5. I love a use it up dinner, sometimes they can be quite umm interesting, so I keep some homemade tomato and veg sauce handy, just to liven a bland dish up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We quite often have a bit of a concoction and a bit of sauce can disguise many a courgette.....my hubby hates them ;-)

      Delete
  6. Delicious. Just the thing for these cold days. Do you remember your Cook It Up Sunday post where I commented that I never make chilli as no one eats it only me? Well, I've been meaning to tell you that I made a batch for myself, I got six meals out of it, three already eaten! I get fed up eating the same things all the time and not making things I enjoy because the rest of the family don't, so I've decided that I'm going to batch cook things for me that I can just pull out of the freezer when they're having something else. Curry next, I love them but the rest of the family don't!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats great news Jo. Glad you made something for yourself to enjoy. I love a curry, fortunately my hubby loves them too. Batch cooking really helps it gives choice on busy days. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know we like a pie here .. and those look just fab .. its got me thinking .. I have leeks to use in the garden .. and I could maybe find a bit of gammon that might do ..
    So tomorrow may well be a pie day!
    Thanks for sharing..
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving all these pies, everything tastes good with a bit of pastry wrapped round it. I have some more leeks to use so tomorrow will be leek and potato soup for us with some reduced price rolls I bought on Sunday. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog it means a lot to me. I will try my best to reply. Comments Moderation is switched on at the moment due to spam so it may take a little while for your comments to be published. Thank you all for being patient xxx